About Duo Security
Multi-factor Authentication (MFA) means that you use more than one method of authentication to gain access to a resource like your JumpCloud User Portal. With Duo MFA, you can authenticate to your User Portal using push notifications, phone callbacks, and mobile passcodes provided by Duo.
After your IT admin enables Duo MFA for your JumpCloud account, you aren’t required to do any additional setup. However, you need to have a Duo account to use Duo as an MFA factor.
If your IT admin has required Duo Security MFA, you’ll need to log in to your JumpCloud User Portal with Duo. If Duo Security MFA isn’t present but it should be, contact your administrator.
To log in to your JumpCloud User Portal with Duo MFA:
- Go to your JumpCloud User Portal: https://console.jumpcloud.com.
- Enter your username and password, then click USER LOGIN.
- Select Duo Security as your authentication method, then click NEXT.
- Select a method to authenticate to the User Portal. Depending on your device and what your IT admin has configured for your use with Duo MFA, possible options are:
- Send Me a Push to have Duo send you a login push.
- Call Me to have Duo call your device.
- Enter a Passcode to enter a passcode from your device.
After you successfully authenticate, you’re logged in to your JumpCloud User Portal.
If Duo MFA fails, change the MFA factor to TOTP to authenticate to your user portal. If you continue to experience problems, contact your IT administrator.
Note: If you set Duo’s New User Policy to Deny access and your users have not enrolled in Duo nor configured another MFA method in JumpCloud, your users will get an error when they attempt to log in and be unable to access the User Portal.
You may encounter errors when logging into your User Portal with Duo Security as your MFA factor for the following reasons:
- If your Duo user was removed or doesn’t exist.
- If your Duo username doesn’t match your JumpCloud username.
- If you experience a connection issue.
- If your Duo user is disabled.
- If your user is set to Bypass in Duo, you’ll never see the Duo authentication options when signing in and are instead automatically logged in to your User Portal. Note that this isn’t necessarily an error, but can be confusing to users if they’re expecting to see Duo’s authentication methods after entering their password.